My fab family

My fab family

Thursday 14 October 2010

Summer Holiday



October is upon us, summer has come and gone, our trip to America has become a distant memory and I can't believe this is my first blog in two months!

Welcome to my new (and hopefully improved) blog (thank you Emily for the name) where I'm 110% dedicated to blogging about raising my two beautiful girls bilingually, as a non-native speaker of Spanish (almost forgot to mention that).

I had big plans this summer on the language front. They were the following: Emily and Leyla would be immersed in total Spanish due to the fact that not only would I only be speaking Spanish to both girls, we would be in America and be surrounded by a wealth of Spanish.
In addition, my mother, a native speaker of Czech, would only speak Czech to the girls. Consequently, we would return to England with two trilingual daughters.

Of course this didn't happen. Nor did we come close. Obviously 7 weeks of language exposure  was not nearly enough.
However, what did emerge were the following sentences constructed by Emily, in Spanish:

Leyla, ven acá (Leyla come here)
Estamos aquí (we're here)
Estas cansada (you're tired)
Tu eres muy mal (you are very bad/naughty)
Tu es diablo, which later became, tu eres un diablo (you are a devil)
Dale un beso (give her a kiss)
Dame un beso (give me a kiss)

And my proudest moment was when she put together this sentence: tu chupete es muy mal (your pacifier/dumby is very bad).

Granted, Emily's Spanish sentences are not all grammatically correct, (nor courteous) however, she makes me proud!

4 comments:

  1. I love "dame un beso!" Emery calls her pacifiers (yes, I made pacifier plural! - ugh!) "chupete" too. I will be using "tu chupete es MUY mal" tomorrow! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I'll look forward to reading your posts about being another non-native speaker using her second language with the kids.

    Will you be explaining how and why you're going about this? Maybe you'd let me profile your family on my blog? I'm especially interested in hearing from other non-native speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your comment! You've been an inspiration to me, by the way!

    This blog is a work in progress and I'm still trying to clarify in my own mind how and what I'm going to document. I suppose the "how" is very important though.

    I would be honored if you profiled my family on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chorizo Mom! I love the name of your blog. Don't under estimate the power of bad manners for motivating language learning. When I was teaching English as a second language, I always started off the season with a lesson on swearing. It broke the ice, got people laughing, and even adults get tweaked by anything naughty.

    ReplyDelete